Local businesses giving away $15,000
43 secondary prizes totalling more than $5,000 also being given away
November 26, 2019, 12:13 pm
Local businesses are getting together to give away more than $20,000 in prizes in the World-Spectator 2019 Christmas Giveaway.
The main prize is $15,000 to reward one lucky shopper for shopping locally this Christmas shopping season.
The winner will receive a chequebook and can spend their prize money at any or all of the participating businesses.
They can spend the prize money any way they want, purchasing anything from any of the businesses taking part in the promotion.
The draw will be made on Thursday, Dec. 19 and the winner will get the good news just before Christmas.
There are also 43 other prizes valued at more than $5,000 in total to be given away in the 2019 Christmas Giveaway.
Shoppers can enter at 47 locations in seven communities across the area.
This year there are participating businesses in Moosomin, Esterhazy, Rocanville, Virden, Whitewood, Redvers, and White Bear First Nation.
The 43 secondary prizes include:
• A Stay and Play Package from Bear Claw Casino at White Bear First Nation.
• A remote control car from Bumper to Bumper in Rocanville.
• An Elle quartz bracelet from Kassie’s Jewelry in Moosomin.
• A food processor and utensils from Esterhazy Home Hardware.
• A selection of local honey from Longman Apiaries in Maryfield.
• A Bowflex Upper Cut from Flaman Group of Companies in Moosomin.
• A Pixie Mood bag-in-a-bag from Kari’s Kloset in Moosomin.
• A Smart Home package from The Wireless Age in Esterhazy.
• A Dakine travel bag and pencil case from McPhail Travel in Moosomin.
• A $400 gift certificate from Today’s Furniture and Electronics in Redvers.
• A set of three lamps from Mullett’s Home Hardware in Moosomin.
• A T-Fal Optigrill from Virden Home Hardware.
• Two $150 gift certificates from Cork and Bone in Moosomin.
• $150 in gift certificates from Tim Hortons in Moosomin and Virden.
• A $100 gift certificate from Zaylie Furniture in Moosomin.
And many more.
World-Spectator and Plain and Valley publisher Kevin Weedmark said he is proud of the local business community for stepping up and supporting the promotion.
“This promotion has always been about rewarding local shoppers for supporting the local businesses, and the fact that so many local retailers and other businesses support promotion shows that they are working hard to serve their customers,” he says.
“The first year we held the car draw, which the $15,000 draw evolved from, we had no idea if we could do it or not. We threw the idea out there to businesses in the area, and the response was overwhelming. In no time we had enough support to be able to offer a substantial prize,” Weedmark said.
“The car draw was a success, but I think this promotion is even better. The grand prize winner each year receives a book of special cheques they can use at the participating businesses. That will ensure that the money the winner receives will stay in the local area.
“There are all sorts of other prizes as well. It’s really a great way of rewarding people for shopping locally.”
Shoppers can enter with a purchase at any participating business—there are 48 locations across the area in total where people can enter.
The winner can spend their $15,000 any way they want at participating businesses.
They may choose to spend it at several different businesses, or spend the whole prize on a large ticket item like a quad, furniture, flooring for the whole house, or a lavish trip.
“The possibilities are endless,” says Weedmark.
“Our winners over the last couple of years have spread their winnings around, spending the prize money on everything from trips to a family dinner to clothing to a garage package to electronics to furniture to jewelry.
“It’s great to hand out the $15,000 prize, and it’s great to see our winners spend that prize at local businesses over the next few months and really enjoy it!”