31 other prizes offered: Local businesses giving away $15,000
November 14, 2017, 7:35 am
Local businesses are getting together to give away $15,000 to reward one lucky shopper for shopping locally this Christmas season.
The draw will be made on Dec. 20 and the winner will get the good news just before Christmas.
There are also 31 other prizes valued at more than $5,000 in total to be given away in the World-Spectator’s 2017 Christmas Giveaway.
Shoppers can enter at 43 locations in nine communities across the area.
The 31 secondary prizes include:
• A bottle of Fontanafredda Borolo 2013 and two wine glasses from the Uptown Bar and Downtown Liquor Store in Moosomin
• A Stay and Play package from Bear Claw Casino, including a two night stay, dinner for two and $50 of free play
• A 12-piece Paderno cookware set from Pharmasave in Moosomin
• A beautiful piece of wall art from Zaylie Furniture in Moosomin
• An LG GPad 2 with tempered glass screen protector from MyPhone in Virden
• A $400 furniture certificate from Today’s Electronics and Furniture in Redvers
• A Total Home Holiday Video Decorating Kit from Borderland Co-op
• Three decorative winter trees from Right At Home Decor
• An Arctic Cat winter coat from Universe Satellite Sales in Rocanville
• An Italian-crafted silver and rose gold necklace from Kassie’s Jewelry
• A two-in-one tripod Halogen work light from Mullett’s RONA
And many more.
The $15,000 Christmas Giveaway evolved from the World-Spectator’s car draw. World-Spectator publisher Kevin Weedmark said he is proud of the local business community for stepping up and supporting the promotion.
“This promotion has always been about rewarding local shoppers for supporting the local businesses, and the fact that so many local retailers and other businesses buy into this promotion shows that they are working hard to serve their customers.
“The first year we held the car draw, we had no idea if we could do it or not. We threw the idea out there to businesses in the area, and the response was overwhelming. In no time we had enough support to be able to offer a substantial prize,” Weedmark said.
“The car draw was a success, but I think this promotion is even better. The grand prize winner will receive a book of special cheques they can only use at the participating businesses. That will ensure that the money the winner receives will stay in the local area. There are all sorts of other prizes as well. It’s really a great way of rewarding people for shopping locally.”
Shoppers can enter with a purchase at any participating business—there are 43 locations across the area in total where people can enter.
The winner can spend their $15,000 any way they want at participating businesses.
They may choose to spend it at several different businesses, or spend the whole prize on a large ticket item like a quad, furniture, flooring for the whole house, or a lavish trip.
“The possibilities are endless,” says Weedmark. “Our winners over the last three years have spent their money in all sorts of ways and supported many local businesses with their winnings. Our winners have always been very excited about how they can spend their $15,000—it’s enough of a prize to open up all sorts of possibilities.”
How could the winnings be spent? “We asked our participating businesses what the winner could do with $15,000 at their businesses, and there were some great ideas,” said Weedmark. Those will be featured over the next several weeks. Turn to pages 10-11 in this week’s issue for details of the draw, and where you can enter.