Two additional deaths from Covid-19 in Manitoba May 5
271 new cases in Manitoba Wednesday, May 5, Manitoba now at 2,780 active cases
May 5, 2021, 1:17 pm
Public health officials advise that two new deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:
• a male in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region; and
• a female in her 70s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to B.1.1.7 variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 8.8 per cent provincially and 9.2 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 272 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, one case has been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 271 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 40,085.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 20 cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 13 cases in the Northern health region;
• 37 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 20 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 182 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
There are currently 1,684 active cases in the Winnipeg region, 154 active cases in the Southern Health Region, 129 cases in the Interlake Eastern Health Region, 434 in the Northern Health Region, and 379 in the Prairie Mountain Health Region, which includes Brandon and all of southwest Manitoba. In the Souris River District within Prairie Mountain, which includes the Elkhorn, Virden, Reston, and Melita areas, there are currently 0 active cases.
The data also shows:
• 2,780 active cases and 36,323 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 125 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 59 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 184 hospitalizations;
• 38 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as nine people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 47 ICU patients;
• 2,803 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 676,845; and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 982.
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
Other possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
Updated enforcement statistics are posted online weekly. For more information, go to Cross-Departmental Reports at https://manitoba.ca/openmb/infomb/departments/index.html.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit www.manitoba.ca/covid19/.